Technician, Media Operations Center
Team: Operations, Engineering & Distribution
The Technician will provide operational support for PBS media processing systems and workflows at various stages of the media supply chain (ingest, transcode, packaging of content) to meet the PBS goal of 99.95% on-air reliability.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Media Operations Center workflows:
- Media Ingest
- Perform detailed QC and technical evaluations on media deliverables and program submissions following documented SOPs and departmental procedures to ensure conformance to the PBS Technical Operating Specification (TOS);
- Evaluate and prepare producer submitted masters for air by verifying compliance of audio type and configuration, closed captioning (CC) channels, descriptive video (DVI), cut timings of elements, SAP, and other features as defined in the enterprise database media inventory record;
- Ability to utilize Avid Media Composer in conjunction with professional broadcast applications and equipment to perform basic edits as part of the technical evaluation and QC process;
- Complete technical work requests (TWR) associated with the media ingest workflow by entering work details into ScheduAll application work order at time of completion;
- Complete internal communication and enter relevant technical and descriptive data in work order to initiate a Media Trouble Report (MTR) for remediation of content that fails to meet the PBS TOS;
- Content Packaging
- Utilize Imagine ADC Automation to assemble program packages for air; monitor playback and record servers to ensure compliant, error free files are delivered to the Network Operations team;
- Confirm the final for air packaged product meets PBS Technical Operating Specifications by verifying compliance of audio type and configuration, closed captioning (CC) channels, descriptive video (DVI), V-chip and rating placement, SAP, and other features as defined in the enterprise database package record;
- Using same criteria, review and verify compliance of for air program packages assembled and processed using a transcode workflow;
- Complete technical work requests (TWR) associated with content packaging by entering work details into ScheduAll application work order at time of completion;
- Maintain interdepartmental communications
- Log details of operational systems, applications and equipment problems by submitting a maintenance support ticket;
- Work with Network Operations team and respond to, resolve, and/or report issues pertaining to media transfers and missing media for air;
- Resolve and/or escalate content issues to MOC staff, the Programming team, and clients, as required;
- Fulfill transcode and file upload and delivery requests per client instructions, as needed;
- Participate in discussions and/or review of updates or modifications to operational workflows or procedures.
Requirements for success:
- Minimum five plus years of prior television program origination experience in a broadcast or cable television environment.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Communications or related discipline, and/or relevant industry experience.
- Excellent computer skills, including use of Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and Microsoft Teams.
- Knowledge of analog and digital television, video, audio, control, automation, tape, video servers, transcoding applications and other broadcast equipment and software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to use a variety of processes, systems, software tools and applications, and equipment for comprehensive technical evaluation of broadcast media.
- Knowledge of public television, including the needs of PBS, the member stations, and producers.
- Knowledge and experience with the following systems and workflows;
- Imagine ADC-100 Automation Systems
- Telestream audio/video compliance measurement analyzer
- Avid Interplay and Media Composer, and Adobe systems
- Baton Quality Control Software
- BroadView traffic system
- ScheduALL resource scheduling software
- Ability to work independently on assignments and report back on progress;
- Excellent time management skills - must be able to prioritize tasks and adapt to rapidly changing workflow requirements with minimal supervision;
- Excellent stress and crisis management skills - must be able to make informed and appropriate decisions under pressure and on deadline, exhibiting good judgment and follow-through;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills - must be able to interact effectively within highly diverse, cross departmental teams;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Experience in a broadcast or cable television environment is required;
- Experience in public broadcasting preferred;
- Knowledge of and experience with file-based systems and workflows for content submission and delivery;
- This position is shift based and will require evening, overnight, and weekend work.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia